703 West Pioneer Ave.
Saturday and Sunday
12:00 noon - 4:00 pm
Admission is free. Donations are glady accepted.
In 1984, two young men, Randy Beerbower and Mike Clark, had a vision that the communities within the Chehalis Valley needed a museum to preserve the history of the area. As a result, the Chehalis Valley Historical Society was incorporated on August 27, 1984. The first meeting of the organization was held on October 4, 1984, in Elma.
The museum opened in the summer of 1985, in the old Rainier Bank Buidling in Elma. About two years later, the landlord tripled the rent, making it impossible to remain at that location. The museum later purchased the quaint, 1906 Scandinavian Lutheran Church at 703 W. Pioneer Avenue, Montesano, and reopened in its current location on March 19, 1988.
---Excerpted from The Chehalis Valley Historian
, October 2009, Volume 26, Issue 2
Our mission is to collect, catalog, and display items of historical significance to the Chehalis Valley, particularly the area from Oakville to Aberdeen.